Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/smartiep/public_html/area451parts.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(226) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/smartiep/public_html/area451parts.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(226) : runtime-created function on line 3
End cap won't stay on
Area 451 Parts Support Forum
September 24, 2017, 08:35:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search My Messages Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End cap won't stay on  (Read 2388 times)
Cruisan Susan

View Profile Offline
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »

Howdy all.  The end cap (e in the tiny manual) pops off, flying across the car - almost lost it out the window a few times.  No matter how I try, it just won't stay put.  the little teenytiny 'hooks' don't seem to hook onto anything anymore.

So, I'm forschtooken.  I duct taped in place - it doesn't work, but at least it's still there.

Is it me?  (Of ~course~ it is)  Do I need a new hooker-onner?  Go-rilla glue?

I miss my CC, and the po-lice are just salivating at the thought of my getting caught again...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all the smarties out there.

Susie
Cruisan Susan

View Profile Offline
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »

Asked another way, anyone ever take (pry?) their original end cap off the new 451 cylinder, and "snapping" it back in place? 

My feeling is, I should not be seeing down into the cylinder - the spring, etc.  I think the endcap from area 451's cylinder and my original cap are stuck together, and it's not a "snap" back into place.  The barbs on two little arms aren't hooking onto anything?  I've tried to twist, but no luck.

Is there a number I can call for more direction?

Thanks all,

Susie
admin
Administrator

View Profile Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »

I'm sorry nobody answered before now Susie.  I didn't get the usual notification that someone posted.  Sorry :(

First, the decorative cap is an original part of your car.  The installer removed it from the end of the original wiper arm and snapped it onto the end button of your cruise switch (the part that flew off).  You can, and should, remove the decorative cap so you can put it on the new switch.  A razor blade is best, as you can insert the thin blade under the lip of the cap and pry it off.

But on to your more serious problem... the button flying off the switch.  You basically need a new switch.  It is covered under warranty if you bought the kit < 2 years ago (in which case please contact your retailer/installer), otherwise a new switch can be purchased from SmartieParts.com here.  Before buying one though, I recommend contacting Steven at SmartieParts and perhaps checking if you can get just the button instead of the whole switch... it may save you the headache of having to re-run the switch cable.  Just a thought.
bkwanab
Customer

View Profile Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »

This appears to be happening more often now our smarts are getting older.  Inspection inside the Area 451 supplied plastic switch shows wear or at least deformation where the button hooks need a square flat surface.  I suspect the plastic is too soft.  The spring then can overpower the hooks so the button pops off smartly.  Pun intended.

More bothersome is that the replacement switch that I just bought, and that I'm in the process of installing, does not have the cruise control marking silk screened on it as the original did.  What gives?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print