Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/smartiep/public_html/area451parts.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(226) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/smartiep/public_html/area451parts.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(226) : runtime-created function on line 3
Electronic Stability Control Light
Area 451 Parts Support Forum
December 14, 2017, 07:23:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search My Messages Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic Stability Control Light  (Read 2585 times)
jrwizzard

View Profile Offline
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »

The ESC light, triangle with exclamation point, came on, took it to mercedes, they diagnosed a pedal sensor module and replaced it. Few days later it came back on so I took it back to them. They traced the fault to the cruise control, bypassed it manually, and test drove it for a few days successfully. So I ordered a new one. They finished installing it yesterday, test driving today. They said on removal, the 451 CC module had a burnt smell. I havent been able to find any warranty info, so I thought I would check here if there was a warranty, or if you wanted the module back for testing or whatever.

The bad module was purchased in 2008, went bad march 2013, almost 5 years exactly.
admin
Administrator

View Profile Offline
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:49:16 AM »

Hi jrwizzard.

Its unfortunate for your trouble :(.  Of course I can't really speculate on what the cause was.  One possibility is that a component in the cruise failed after these years, certainly.  We offer an excellent warranty on this product that far exceeds most aftermarket electronics.  Typically, aftermarket automotive electronics carry either no warranty (due to the high possibility of installer error and next to no way to tell the difference between "damaged" and "defective" electronics) or 6, 9 or maybe 12 months max.  The Area 451 cruise comes with a full 2 year limited warranty for kit purchases.  In cars which have our kit dealer-installed pre-delivery (ie. a brand new car) then we match (to the dealer) whatever the car's warranty is.  In the US, in most cases, that is still 2 years.  In Canada its 4 years.  Therefore, if you purchased an extended warranty with your vehicle (and the kit was installed by the dealer pre-delivery), then it is possible that your cruise is still under warranty.  But that's a lot of "ifs", so more likely it is not.

If you wish to send the cruise box back, we can look at it and see if it is repairable.  There's no charge other than the shipping.  However, if there really was burning involved, then it is unlikely that a repair would be wise, if even possible, as its impossible to know what weakening of adjacent components my have occurred.

If you purchased both kits directly from SmartieParts, it may not be a bad idea to send an email to Steven.  However, if they were purchased through the dealership then he won't be able to offer any further help.

ps. In all references to warranty, and in all cases, only the cruise control parts that came with the kit are covered.  Labor, shop materials, or any related or unrelated parts are not covered.
jrwizzard

View Profile Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »

it wasnt purchased from the dealer, I installed at a month or so after. So at most it would have the 2 year, which is way overwith. I'm just going to throw it away
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print